Powered by WebRing.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

The First Round

Geez, I just realized how long it has been since I last posted. As you may have guessed, I have been mucho busy. I passed all my last exams, finished my hospital internship, and have just returned from my first foray into my field internship (FI).

Intimidated, unprepared, downright flustered at times; these words only nick the surface of my first 120 hours of FI. Sitting in class and passing tests, playing on dummies for practice... these things hardly prepare you for the real patient in the field with an experienced paramedic or two looking over your shoulder. It is difficult, but I learned more in the first 120 hours of my FI than I think I did in 2 years of class time and 600 hours of hospital internship. It was good, it was exciting, and boy howdy was it challenging.

My next 120 hours will undoubtedly be more challenging as I am supposed to move into the team leader role full time and actually be 100% in charge of the patient and the care they recieve. I am anxious, but I am ready; I think I will do well.

I will try to post here throughout, but I can't make any promises as I usually have to read constantly when not on the ambulance. There are about a million little tidbits of information jammed somewhere in my brain that I just don't know well enough to provide for total recall, so I read and read and read and read. Hopefully I haven't lost any of my two or three loyal readers. Hang in there, I promise to be back soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carmelo said...

Sorry dude, still reading just as avidly as before, promise. Hope all's going well across the pond :-) I'm in the middle of my driving course at the moment, stressful doesn't even cover it..

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Congrats on almost finishing, and good luck in your next phase, I'm sure you'll do great!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home