Powered by WebRing.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Home Stretch... Finally

Alas, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am sitting here at work, it is late, and I am reading about the joys of incontinence in the geriatric patient. I am nearing the home stretch and cannot wait to be done with school.

I have about 12 days left of class. After a short break filled with a bunch of ER and Labor/Delivery clinicals I will begin precepting as a paramedic student on an ambulance. Once that starts I will only be 360 hours and one big ass test away from my shiny NREMT-P badge.

I have to apologize for not posting much lately. Though I am skeptical that I have too many readers (aside from my pal Carmelo), I do feel like I need to keep plugging along with this thing. I have been deep in the books and the clinicals lately. We have also all had to get NRP (neonatal resuscitation), ACLS (advanced cardiac life support), and PALS (pediatric advanced life support) aside from the usual studies. I have been busy, and tired, but things are finally starting to make sense.

It happened suddenly. I was practicing assessments with a bunch of nurses and doctors during out PALS class when all of the sudden I was able to "visualize" a clear clinical picture of my patient. I don't know how else to explain it. It was like suddenly the 2000 pages of my text book, all the reading, videos, practice, everything came together and I understood how it all worked together. It was an awesome feeling. For the first time I had a solid and confident feeling that I was going to be good at this.

That feels good, really good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carmelo said...

"The moment of clarity"- I know exactly what you mean.

I've had a couple of slight glimpses like that, but that's all they were, glimpses. I can honestly say things are a long way from "clicking" just yet...

11:38 AM  
Blogger Carmelo said...

happy new year mate.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home